carlos cid’s homepage
My main (current) academic interests:
- Symmetric Key Cryptology: block ciphers and stream ciphers
- Asymmetric Key Cryptology: post-quantum cryptography
- Applications of Computational Algebra in Cryptology
- Economics of Information Security
- I am the Director of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Cyber Security at Royal Holloway. The CDT is hosted by the Information Security Group, and will provide multidisciplinary training to three successive annual cohorts of around 10 students each, starting in October 2013.
We have completed the recruitment for the 2014 cohort. Applications for the 2015 entry will open in November 2014.
- Teaching activities in 2014/2015:
- module leader and lecturer in the Security Testing Theory and Practice (IY5610) module, in the MSc in Information Security course (Spring Term)
- Viet Pham (applications of game theory in information security)
- Gordon Procter (symmetric cryptography)
- Christian Janson (secure outsourcing of computation)
- Rachel Player (computational algebra approaches to LWE)
- Martin Albrecht (2007-2010) — Thesis: Algorithmic Algebraic Techniques and their Application to Block Cipher Cryptanalysis
- Ciaran Mullan (2008-2011) — Thesis: Some Results in Group-Based Cryptography
- Robert Fitzpatrick (2011-2014) — Thesis: Some Algorithms for Learning with Errors
- International Technology Alliance (ITA): a collaborative research alliance between the UK Ministry of Defence (UK MoD) and US Army Research Laboratory (US ARL), with a consortium of academic and industry partners. I am involved in the project considering applications of cryptographic mechanisms for providing security of hybrid coalition networks and distributed systems.
- Research Institute in Science of Cyber Security (RISCS): one of three Research Institutes formed as part of the UK National Cyber Security Strategy, I am involved in the project considering game theoretic techniques for modelling cyber security decision-making problems.
other professional activities
- I am member of the FSE (Fast Software Encryption) Steering Committee.
- I am one of the UK representatives in the COST Action “Cryptography for Secure Digital Interaction” Management Committee. The 4-year COST Action was launched in April 2014.
- I am member of the Editorial Board of Designs, Codes and Cryptography, a journal focusing mainly on the mathematical aspects of design theory, coding theory and cryptography
- I am member of the selection committee of CAESAR – Competition for Authenticated Encryption: Security, Applicability, and Robustness, a NIST-funded competition to select new authenticated encryption algorithms.
- I often work as independent consultant in the areas of cryptology (e.g. algorithm evaluation), network and mobile communications security. For enquiries regarding possible jobs or for information about previous assignments, please contact me via the email