User's Guide to Cryptography and Standards:
Alexander W. Dent and Chris J. Mitchell
1st March 2009 (version 0.37)
The purpose of this document is to provide a list of all known
errors in the User's Guide to Cryptography and Standards.
The first discoverer of the error and the date it was notified to
us are listed in each case.
- Page 5, Section 1.3, definition of S, line 5.
Change `where the public key' to `where the private key'. [Kevin
- Page 11, penultimate line. Change `the the ISO' to
`the ISO'. [Kevin Eagles, 20/3/05].
- Page 50, paragraph starting `These attacks', line 1.
Change the text to `The differential and linear cryptanalysis
attacks were first published in the early 1990s, and caused
...'. [Soichi Furuya, 17/12/04].
- Page 50, Equation (4.3). Change to
[Soichi Furuya, 17/12/04].
- Page 53, Section 4.2.5, last line. Change 'ciphers' to 'cipher'. [Mark Milton, 23/2/09].
- Page 65, Notes on Section 4.4.1, line 5. `Addleman'
should be 'Adleman'. [CJM, 6/11/04].
- Page 65, Notes on Section 4.4.2, line 6. Delete
'the' before 'both'. [CJM, 6/11/04].
- Page 75, Figures 5.3 and 5.4. A down arrow is
missing from both figures (connecting the central Å to the
eK box below in Figure 5.3, and connecting the rightmost dK box
to the Å beneath in Figure 5.4). [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 78, Equation (5.12). Xq should be Xi,
i.e. the equation should read Pi=CiÅ(eK(Xi)|j). [Soichi
- Page 78, Equation (5.14). Xi should be Xq,
i.e. the equation should read Pq=CqÅ(eK(Xq)|t). [CJM, 9/1/05].
- Page 93, paragraph 3, line 6. Change `then' to
`than'. [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 97, Section 6.2, paragraph 2, line 2. Change `FIBS' to
`FIPS'. [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 100, Figure 6.2. Change the left input to the dotted box
from Hi to Hi-1. [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 103, Figure 6.3. The outputs of the leftmost `Split' box
(near the top of the figure) should be Hi-1L and Hi-1R instead
of HiL and HiR respectively. [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 104, line 7. Change `Pub' to `Pub.'. [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 104, lines 14/15. The name `Rijmen' should not
be hyphenated `Ri-jmen'. [Vincent Rijmen, 8/2/05].
- Page 106, Notes on Section 6.1, line 7. Change `was first'
to `were first'. [CJM, 6/11/04].
- Page 106, Notes on Section 6.1, para. 3, line 1. Change
`significantly' to `significant'. [CJM, 6/11/04].
- Page 123, Equation 7.6. Change `eK"[eK[(D1)]'
to `eK"(eK(D1))', i.e. the equation should read
H1=eK"(eK(D1)). [Soichi Furuya, 6/1/05].
- Page 128, line -18. Change `algorithms 1 and 3 should be used' to
`algorithms 1 and 3 are in most cases to be preferred to algorithm
2'. [Vincent Rijmen, 8/2/05].
- Page 130, line -9. Change `Rackhoff' to `Rackoff'.
- Page 146, paragraph starting `The idea', line 7.
Change `signing key e' to `signing key d'. [Anonymous,
- Page 150, Section 8.6, line 8.
Change `use' to `used'. [Vincent Rijmen, 8/2/05].
- Page 206, last paragraph, line 5. Change `the
previous issue' to `one of the previous issues'. [Vincent Rijmen,
- Page 226, line 14. Change `TSRM' to `TRSM'. [Soichi Furuya, 25/2/05].
- Page 229, Ref. . Change `Withdrawl' to
`Withdrawal'. [CJM, 6/11/04].
- Page 230, Ref. . Change `Techniques for' to
`Techniques using'. [CJM, 8/11/04].
- Page 342, line 4. Change `be be' to `be'. [Renato
- Page 348, Notes on Section 16.2, paragraph starting
'It was thought', lines 2-4. Change `This advice ... other
properties' to `This advice has now largely been superseded, as
it seems that suitably large randomly generated prime numbers
will satisfy these conditions with overwhelming probability'.
- Page 365, Table A.7, 11568-4 title. Change `Techniques for' to
`Techniques using'. [CJM, 11/11/04].
File translated from
On 20 Oct 2006, 12:34.